We are seeking poetry that responds to the growing frequency of mass shootings in America. What would our country look like if leading decision makers stopped privileging unlimited gun rights over the lives of the people we love? Show us that world. If you have been effected by gun violence, please also feel free to use this space to share your thoughts about your experience. Our platform is yours to express what you need to say. We want a world where the lives of our friends and loved ones are not cut short by the finality of a bullet. We want our children to grow old and live to build beautiful things. Melt down the guns and ammunition. Disarm the tools of violence.
- We strive to create a safe space for all writers to share their voices.
- Our publication is open to all poets, regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or religious affiliation.
- Our editors will consider work from established and emerging poets alike.
- Please send 1-5 poems addressing the theme for the Disarm issue.
- Submissions will be accepted from February 19th-April 30th.
- All selected poems will be published in a PDF eBook on July 4th 2018
- All poetry must be your original work, and you must own all rights to your work.
- Format your text in single-spaced Times New Roman font.
- Please title your poems.
- Include a cover letter with your submission.
- The cover letter should contain a brief biography and the title of your pieces.
- If you choose to include a bio, please make sure it is 150 words or less.
- We accept simultaneous submissions. Please promptly notify our editors if you choose to publish your submission with another magazine.
- You may submit previously published work, unless you are restricted from doing so by an agreement with your previous publisher.
- We accept poetry that has been published on personal blogs, such as tumblr.
- If you submit previously published poems, please notify us when and where your poems were published.
- The Rising Phoenix Review retains the right to publish and archive accepted submissions in perpetuity.
- Writers also give us permission to publish their poetry in promotions, in segments, or the poem’s entirety, as long as The Rising Phoenix Review credits the author of the piece.
- All other rights revert back to the poet upon publication.
- If your poetry is published elsewhere, subsequent to appearing in Rising Phoenix Review, please mention that it was featured with us.
The Rising Phoenix Review is a monthly online zine dedicated to publishing poetry, photography, and art focused on the working class and other marginalized groups. The Rising Phoenix Review was founded as a method to track the progression of modern social issues in real time. We believe genuine writing, photography, and art creates an opportunity for dialogue about how to positively mend the issues of our world. We resolve to publish writers, artists, and photographers who peacefully and compassionately address the most challenging issues of our era. We strive to build a sacred space for the marginalized with the work we publish.